Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ongoing Packing List

When I was in Uganda for Jeremiah's adoption I packed things I didn't need and left behind things I wished I had with me.  So I am going to keep a list here and add to it as I think of things!

~Wipes- lots of wipes!  Baby wipes and small packs of regular wipes to throw in your bag.
~Diapers.  I was glad I brought lots of diapers because I did not like the ones available in country.  
~Flush able wipes,
~A few tissue pocket packs and boogie wipes.
~Crystal light instant packs, Starbucks VIA and cocoa packs are nice to have but I brought too much last time.
~Medacine:  Tylenol, tums, dayquil, benedryl (topical and pills!), pepto, and anti diarrhea pills (tmi but you might need them if you accidentally drink any untreated water)
~Bug spray with deet
~Sunscreen
~Several mini hand sanitizers for when you are out and about.  I like the ones from Bath and Body Works with the little thing to hang from your bag.
~Razor, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and conditioner, Jeremiah's shampoo and conditioner, body wash, baby wash, and any other personal items you don't want to be without your brand of.
~Purex crystals or Downy Unstopables.  So nice to add to the wash since everything hangs to dry.  
~Travel fabreeze
~Ziplock bags, gallon and quart.
~Pack dryer sheets in your bag around clothes to keep your suitcase and clothes smelling fresh.  Then seal them up in a ziplock bag and keep them when you unpack.  I would tuck them in my pillowcase and around my room for a fresh smell :)
~Journal, notebook, and a few of your favorite kind of pens.  I was glad I tucked a few of my favorite pictures of my hubby and family inside my journal.
~Ipad, Kindle, ipod, camera.  Electrical adapter and chargers for all electronics.
~Figure out how expensive it would be to unlock my iphone for international use or acquire a Ugandan cell phone.
~Ergo You can front, back and side carry with it.  Front carry encourages eye contact and bonding and the child will fall asleep against your chest when they are tired.  So great for bonding!  Carries up to 45 pounds, but for me, my back has a hard time carrying over 25 pounds for very long.
~Two good flashlights.  I will bring a Mag Lite and a hand held flashlight with a lantern setting.  I only brought 1 and it died when I was in Uganda.  An unfortunate incident of Mike trying to make a bottle for J when the power was out in the middle of the night and accidentally pouring the formula into the flashlight instead of the bottle. Oops! lol  I had to borrow one for the rest of the trip!
~Back up batteries for flash lights and camera.
~Small snacks like fruit leathers and food your kids are familiar with.
~Mac and cheese.
~String cheese and regular cheese.
~Sewing kit.  I need this a few times!
~Large bag, purse, back pack or diaper bag.  We needed to carry around a lot of diapers, snacks, water bottles, and extra clothes when we are gone all day.
~A small backpack for Jeremiah to carry his own snacks in when we are going to be out and about for the day.
~7-8 days of clothes for the adults so you have enough between washings and waiting for clothes to line dry in rainy weather.  Probably more for kiddos. Nice clothes for church and court.
~Flip flops, good walking shoes, and court shoes.
~Small wet bag for baby blow outs or accidents while out and about.
~Bottles, Sippy Cups, snack traps,and children's bowls with lids and spoons.  These kind of things cost an arm and a leg there!  But you can get them if you need them.
~I think I will bring a few cooking items this time.  Granulated sugar since they don't have it in country, and possibly a small rice cooker since I suck at making rice in a pot.  Also our family favorite go to recipes that I can adapt to ingredients available in Uganda.

Carry on
~Ipad, laptop, both cameras, anything valuable.
~Lots of cash.
~Copies of all documents, especially court documents on the way home.
~Pillow
~A small bag with travel sized toothpaste, toothbrush, hair brush, hair ties, lotion, deodorant  face wipes and a little bit of make up.  Trust me, you will feel more human with these items on 2 very long airplane rides!
~Change of shirt and undergarments so you can freshen up on the layover between flights.
~Court clothes-you don't want to be without these!
~Kindle, ipod, journal and pen.
~Small toys and snacks to keep small children occupied.  A favorite lovey or blanket for sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment